When should the midwife be called?
During pregnancy this will be discussed with each pregnant woman. Below mentioned calling instructions are general. It may occur that we make individual calling arrangements.
For instance as a consequence of a previous delivery and/or development of this pregnancy. We would like to point out that you may always call us without following the general calling instructions. Are you exhausted, frightened, insecure or do you experience (extreme) tension, then this is definitely a reason to call. In that case always try to be as clear as possible with your request for help. Sometimes contact by telephone may be sufficient to solve the problem and it might not always be necessary to come along immediately.
You have to call us
- When the contractions start and/or the waters break before 37 weeks of pregnancy
- When you have at least 15 painful contractions per hour which last 50 – 60 seconds (there are apps for timing the contractions)
- When the waters break during daytime (with or without contractions)
- When the waters break at night and the amniotic fluid is green and/or brown
- When the waters break and you are doubtful about the colour
- Loss of clear red blood (with or without belly pains)